It’s Tuesday again, which means it’s the perfect time to take another 20 minute hiatus from life! I have a very important meeting in an hour and a half, that’s kind of stressing me out, so I decided to take some time for self care and do my absolute favourite thing:
Go to a cafe, order breakfast and a latte, and blog with you all.
Win. Always a win.
So let’s check out some of those things I’m seriously smitten with this week:
- I resonated with the signs and symptoms of an introvert hangover so much, although for me it is a mix of those and just an increased lack of patience and really high levels of anxiety! I’ll snap at the simplest things, and will transfer my frustration and guilt and inability to focus on those I love most. It’s a tough one, because even with those you love the most you still sometimes need a break. For me, I always feel guilty about it too, because it is easily portrayed as an affront to those around you when you say, “I need to be alone”, and often sounds to people who don’t quite get it like, “I need to be AWAY from YOU!” It doesn’t mean that. It just means my battery is drained and needs to be recharged with fresh air and solitude.
- I can’t remember what TV show it was that had a scavenger hunt proposal, but ever since I saw it I thought it was the sweetest and most romantic thing. It shows so much thought and love, going through different places you’ve been together, different things you discovered together, all the memories of all the little things… either that or I’m a cliché romcom fanatic. This guy had it all right.
- There are so many places I want to see, but after following on instagram and snapchat, Michigan has made it onto my list for sure. (There’s a LIGHTHOUSE, and a giant lake that reminds me of an OCEAN! And delicious looking cafes, food, and coffee. Win.)
- It always mind boggles me when you see Instagram photos of women with “perfect” bodies, and then hear the story behind how it actually looks that way. This woman is an inspiration, and I am seriously smitten with how the body that has “lived more, given more, and enjoyed more” is given its credit. Body’s like this are a result of living and loving life, instead of losing and loathing self.
- My Goodness… I had to pee when I read this list of Mom texts, and it almost ended very badly for the chair in the cafe I was sitting in quite a few times. The sad thing is, my mom would totally text a good number of these.
- A fantastic podcast interview by Caroline Dooner with Isabel Foxen Duke, a Certified Health Coach and Emotional Eating Activist, fantastic body image and body positive activist, and all around badass in the food, eating disorder, and food psychology realm. Seriously, one of my favourite emails to read each week, and she makes SO MUCH SENSE! You’ll laugh, you’ll resonate, and you’ll agree, and say, “Man, society is f***ed up!”
- I need this shirt. And a large iced vanilla soy latte with it, please and thank you… Oh, and a side of this shirt and this shirt. And this print. Okay I’m done.
- My next kitchen wishlist item. Money, money, money… you’re fleeting and easily spent.
- Flourless, high protein pancake recipe that I ADORE. I usually do it as is, with 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, OR I make a pumpkin version, with 1/2 a banana, 1/4 cup of pumpkin purée, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. And top with lots of nut butter and blueberries. (SIDE NOTE: there is NOTHING wrong with carbs or flour. This is just for those times when you want something a bit different, taste or texture wise. I still love me some good oat flour pancakes, or regular pancakes if they’re dense and hearty too!)
- A really cool free summit I’m a part of, that started yesterday (but it’s never too late to join!, all about making peace with food, loving your body, and feeling beautiful inside and out. It features daily interviews with leading experts in this area, and is a much needed breath of fresh air for anyone struggling with unrealistic expectations, food and/or body image issues.
Happy Tuesday to you all, once again!
image source (side note: Seriously, can I PLEASE have her natural handwriting?! I can’t believe this awesome font is her everyday!)
So I want to write the blog I’d like to read, and in my favourite blogs, there’s always a weekly link love post. And one of my favourite ones is the one that comes from Shutterbean, as an I Love Lists assortment, as it’s always different, always includes some totally random stuff, and always makes me laugh.
I decided I wanted to get in on the action too, so here we are with my new “Seriously Smitten With” series, which assuming I can keep my act together, will be posted every Tuesday. Here’s some stuff I’m seriously smitten with this week:
- This artist makes jewelry inspired by the cities she visits!
- I have to question whether some of these fml moments are real, or made up. Either way, I was almost crying laughing over some of them (especially number ten)!
- My go-to burger recipe, although I use it direct from the cookbook (which is one of my favourite cookbooks ever, just be sure to white-out the calories first (or get someone else to if you know you’ll memorize them/be affected by them instantly) because you don’t need that crap!). I don’t always make the onions or toppings, but as a base burger, it’s THE BEST!
- Diets suck, and we all know it. We also know that they are not a solution for long term health or weight loss. But there’s also the growing issue where “getting healthy” is really a diet in disguise… and before you know it, you become less concerned about your health, and more concerned about your body.
- Seriously this melted my heart a little bit. What a genius idea!
- I want this spoon. And knowing me, I should probably get this spoon. And I’m liking these wedding favors.
- I love gold rimmed dinner collections but I hate the fact that you need to hand wash them. The struggle is real.
- I can’t commit to a real tattoo. Did you know you can make your own temporary ones?!
- Whether you’re recovering from an eating disorder, or just trying to make peace with food and your body so you’re not a total nutcase anymore, one of the most important and key things is to start living a non-diet life, and these three points are on point. In my experience the order to which to approach them is more like 1-3-2, because it’s super hard to tune into your hunger and fullness cues when you have all those judgements from 1 and 3 in the way.
- Everyone knows I’m addicted to oatmeal, but there’s a particular combo that I have been MAJORLY crushing on lately. Usually, I can’t eat the same thing more than a couple times in a week or I get bored, doesn’t matter what snack or what meal. But I unashamedly had this guy probably 5 or 6 times in the past two weeks, and once it was within 12 hours of each other. Mind blown. You can get the combo, which I cannot take credit for here.
Here was my version yesterday morning, topped with cashews and fresh figs, although my winning topping has been cashews, toasted coconut, and dried cherries.
Happy Tuesday Everyone!